The thyroid gland is located at the base of the neck just below the Adam's apple. The thyroid produces two main hormones called T3 and T4 which are transported in the blood to all parts of the body. These hormones control the rate of many activities in your body including how fast calories are burned and how fast or slow a person’s heart rate is. Combined, these activities are often referred to as the metabolism. When thyroid disease occurs and the thyroid gland is compromised it may produce too few hormones and this can result in the metabolism slowing down. This condition is often referred to as an underactive thyroid function or hypothyroidism.
Symptoms of Underactive Thyroid
When it functions as it should, the thyroid will produce T3 and T4 at a 20% - 80% ratio. An under-production of these hormones will slow down the body’s metabolism, causing hypothyroidism. Common symptoms of this condition are:
- weight-gain despite eating sensibly
- feeling cold even in warm weather
- hair loss
- dry, flaky skin, especially on the face
- unexplained joint pain
- In addition to these symptoms, people with hypothyroidism may have high blood levels of LDL cholesterol, the so-called “bad” cholesterol.
Causes of Hypothyroidism
- Autoimmune thyroiditis, where the body’s own immune system attacks the thyroid gland.
- Iodine deficiency since iodine is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones.
- Deficiency of protein, magnesium and zinc, since these are all essential for the thyroid to function properly.
- Heavy metal poisoning or an over-abundance of chemicals and pesticides in the body.
- Root canal teeth can leak toxins into the body and enter the thyroid gland, producing thyroid disease.
Natural Hypothyroid Treatment
The majority of people who have an underactive thyroid such as Hashimoto’s disease, have an autoimmune disease whereby the immune system attacks thyroid tissue. So, in order to find an underactive thyroid natural treatment it is important to address the autoimmune issue. Just taking prescription medication for low thyroid function will simply just mask the symptoms.
Making dietary changes can be the first step in embracing natural thyroid treatment. Underactive thyroid treatment can begin with cutting out, and adding to, the diet in the following ways:
Add these to your diet:
- Foods that are rich in Vitamin A such as carrots and eggs.
- Seafood such as arame, dulce, kelp and nori that contain high levels of iodine.
- Foods that are rich in zinc such as beef, chicken, nuts and spinach.
- Increasing protein intake can help improve low thyroid function. Proteins include nuts and nut butters; quinoa; hormone- and antibiotic-free animal products (organic, grass-fed meats, eggs, and sustainably-farmed fish); and legumes.
- Insufficient intake of fat can exacerbate hormonal imbalance, which includes thyroid hormones. Natural, healthful fats include olive oil; ghee; avocados; flax seeds; fish; nuts and nut butters; hormone- and antibiotic-free full fat cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese and coconut milk products.
Decrease these in the diet:
- Refined foods
- Saturated fats
- White flour
- Certain fruits and vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, peaches and pears can diminish the thyroid's production of thyroxin.
- Greatly reduce or eliminate caffeine and sugar, which people with low thyroid function naturally reach for in order to boost their flagging energy.
Gluten has an almost identical molecular composition to thyroid tissue and consuming gluten can increase an autoimmune attack on your thyroid.
The Role of Nutrients in Natural Hypothyroid Treatment
It is doubtful that nutritional deficiencies are the sole cause of an underactive thyroid, but not having enough of these micronutrients and minerals can aggravate symptoms of low thyroid function. Increasing the intake of; vitamin D, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, zinc, copper, vitamin A, the B vitamins, and iodine can help in natural hypothyroid treatment.
Vitamin D levels can be checked by a simple blood test. Optimal levels are between 50-80 ng/mL; anything below 32 contributes to hormone pathway disruption.
Omega-3s, found in fish, grass fed animal products, flaxseeds, and walnuts, are the building blocks for hormones that control immune function and cell growth, are critical to thyroid function, and improve the ability to respond to thyroid hormones.
Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant which can help in underactive thyroid treatment. It can boost the immune system, reduce autoimmune flare-ups, and protect and heal thyroid tissue.
Underactive Thyroid Treatment
The thyroid gland affects all the other hormones in the body and its proper regulation is essential to good hormonal balance and health. With the disturbing increase in thyroid disease, an annual screening of thyroid gland is recommended. This should include blood tests that check on thyroid gland hormone levels and body iodine levels.
When a patient is suspected to have a thyroid disorder a comprehensive thyroid profile is ordered, in the form of a blood test. The test results will give precise measurements of Free T3 and T4 and their ratios to each other. If the results indicate that for example, the patient’s T3 level is too low then the patient will be checked for deficiencies in essential nutrients which are required for hormone production. Many times this will correct the thyroid without the need for prescription hormones.
However, it is frequently discovered that the thyroid is making enough of the T4 hormone but it is not converting to the metabolic active hormone, T3. This conversion problem can easily be found when the appropriate thyroid evaluation tests are performed.
Another problem of conversion involves too much of the T4 converting into another thyroid hormone called Reverse T3. Reverse T3 is not metabolizing active and can contribute to symptoms of underactive thyroid. Again, proper testing of the thyroid will uncover this issue. Correct thyroid treatment requires the correct evaluation and that is what is performed at LifeWorks Wellness Center.
Where to Find Underactive Thyroid Treatment
Lifeworks Wellness Center is long recognized as one of the foremost natural health clinics in the US. At our Tampa Bay, Florida alternative medicine office we have been offering treatment for underactive thyroid for a long time and many of our patients have benefitted from it. The patients fly in from all over the world because they simply can’t find clinics offering natural treatments for underactive thyroid and natural medicine for low thyroid where they live.
We have helped many patients regain their health and we would love to help you, too. To become a patient or for more information feel free to call our New Patient coordinator at (727) 466-6789 or simply submit an online web form with your request.
Learn More About Your Thyroid
- Visit the main Thyroid Treatment portal page with videos, patient success stories & more.
- Contact the best thyroid doctor in the Clearwater & Tampa Florida area!
*Disclaimer: Individual patient results may vary based on a patient's medical history and other factors.