An article produced by Live Science stated that the air we breathe contains approximately 1,800 kinds of bacteria¹. While most of it is produced through environmental factors, some of it can be found within the comfort of our own home. One notable bacteria that is found there would be mold. If one has ever noticed slimy black spots along the baseboards, shower tiles, air conditioning or outdoor area, this is a strong indication of mold. This bacteria is made up of multiple types of fungi that is reproduced into small tiny spores that initially cannot be seen, however it could give off a musty odor. Contrary to what many believe, there are three different types of common molds:
All three are considered “black mold” and will normally form in areas with an abundance of moisture or water. In residential or commercial areas, these places include rooftops, windows, bathtubs, bathrooms, air vents, basements, attics, or water pipes. Although mold is very common, constant exposure to it can cause multiple health problems to individuals and can even lead to chronic illnesses.
At LifeWorks Wellness Center, we’ve treated many patients with conditions that were associated with mold exposure and mold toxicity. The belief that mold is a harmless bacteria is a common misconception. If one finds mold in their home, apartment, or business, it must be addressed immediately, otherwise it may place individuals at risk of inflammation, which can later cause other chronic conditions.
Health Consequences of Mold Exposure
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, “molds produce allergens and irritants”² which could potentially cause allergic reactions. Studies have also shown that mold triggers inflammation in the brain which could lead to neurological conditions such as impaired memory, anxiety, or higher risk of Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. Mold has also been correlated with an increased risk of developing asthma; a chronic respiratory disease that constricts the air pathways and induces wheezing, chest pain or dry cough. Additionally, signs of mold toxicity include fever, sinus infections, weaker immunity, nausea, chronic fatigue, shortness of breath, eye irritations, cough and low pain tolerance.
Treatment for Mold Toxicity
Since it’s not widely studied in conventional medicine, most patients don’t realize that they have mold toxicity and often confuse it with the common cold. However, the regular common cold is short-lived, while symptoms of mold toxicity can last for months or even become chronic. At LifeWorks Wellness Center, we provide patients with detoxification methods to extract the bacteria out of their body. Initially, they will be ordered lab tests to determine if mold bacteria is the root cause of their illness. From there, a LifeWorks practitioner will provide a treatment plan depending on the patient’s case. Some treatments that we use include:
- Intravenous Therapies: a medical technique that delivers fluids containing antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Some IV detox therapies offered at LifeWorks include Glutathione, Major Autohemotherapy (MAH), and UVBI.
- Extracorporeal Blood Oxygenation and Ozonation (EBOO): a dialysis machine that cleans the patient’s blood through a filter and eliminates all toxins, pesticides and bacteria.
- Ozone Therapies: Ozone is a gas made up of three atoms as opposed to two (like normal oxygen) and is found in the Earth’s upper atmosphere. The ozone provides great health benefits and can successfully detox the body of bacterial infections, including mold. Ozone treatments at LifeWorks include Hyperthermic Ozone Carbonic Acid Transdermal Technology (HOCATT), Major Autohemotherapy (MAH), and UVBI.
- Supplements & Peptides: Supplements such as BodyHealth’s Complete Multi + Daily Liver Support, PerfectAmino and Inflam-Arrest can assist in relieving inflammation caused by mold exposure in the body. Additionally, some patients may be encouraged to take peptides that contain proteins with anti-inflammatory properties.
Prevention of Mold Toxicity
The number one way to prevent mold toxicity is to reduce the amount of mold exposure. It’s possible for patients to come to us when they’re in need of treatment, however all of it is useless if the primary issue is not taken care of: the mold. If your home or business is infected with mold, we recommend that you hire a reputable mold removal and remediation company to eliminate it. If it’s not handled immediately, you will constantly be infected with mold and won’t get better, no matter how many treatments you do. This will not only protect you from further mold exposure, but it will also protect visitors, guests or customers that enter your property. Furthermore, it’s important to sustain a healthy diet to naturally provide the body with good bacteria to fight off the malevolent bacteria to reduce inflammation.
Have You Been Exposed to Mold?
It’s often hard to tell when we have accumulated too much mold in our system, which is why LifeWorks performs an extensive testing process prior to diagnosing the patient. Those who have experienced long-term cold or flu symptoms, frequent coughing, chronic fatigue, or brain fog may be infected with mold. Thankfully, our practitioners have the proper knowledge and training to treat those who do.
If you or someone that you know has mold or might have been exposed to mold, please call to schedule an appointment at 727-466-6789.