If we are to believe conventional medicine, there is no cure for herpes. They offer antiviral medications to reduce the active outbreaks of genital herpes, as well as reduce transmission to a sexual partner and there are also vaccines currently in clinical trials (CDC).
However, did you know that there is an effective, powerful and natural herpes treatment available? Many people don’t know that optimizing the immune system and administering ozone therapy can reduce herpes outbreaks. Let’s explore what herpes is, its symptoms, causes, and conventional and natural herpes treatment.
What is Herpes?
Herpes is a virus that may remain dormant or may cause a flare-up in the body. There are two main strains.
Although there are eight strains in the herpes virus family including Epstein-Barr virus, we are going to focus on the two most common forms of the herpes simplex virus (HSV).
Herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1), the form of herpes called oral herpes is transmitted through saliva. Many people with oral herpes were likely infected during childhood or adolescence through sharing a cup, straw, eating utensil, piece of gum, toothbrush, or through kissing.
Herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-2), also known as genital herpes is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the instances of genital herpes in the U.S. is over 1 in 6 persons aged 14-49. It is also about twice as prevalent in women than in men.
HSV-1 or oral herpes can cause cold sores or fever blisters in the mouth and on and around the lips. It may also cause genital and rectal blisters.
HSV-2 (genital herpes) can also cause blisters or herpetic lesions to form around the genitals, rectum, and the mouth. When these lesions break open they leave sores that can take 7 days to 4 weeks to heal. Other symptoms may be:
- A burning sensation while urinating
- Bad smelling genital discharge
- Bleeding between periods in women
- Symptoms before an outbreak such as:
- Genital pain
- Shooting pain or tingling in the butt, hips, or legs
During the infected person’s first outbreak, they may have other flu-like symptoms such as:
- Body aches
- Swollen lymph nodes
People with genital herpes may have several outbreaks in their lifetime as the virus stays with them for life, unless properly treated with natural herpes treatment. Subsequent flare ups may be less severe over time.
It is also common for people with oral or genital herpes to have no symptoms, or only mild symptoms. Many people who carry either form of the virus do not even know they have it. This is because either they have no symptoms, or the blisters are mistaken for a different skin problem such as an ingrown hair or a pimple.
What Causes Herpes and How is it Transmitted?
Oral herpes or HSV-1 is transmitted through saliva. During oral sex, HSV-1 may be transmitted to the genitals and cause a genital HSV-1 infection.
Genital herpes or HSV-2 is transmitted through contact with herpes blisters, genital secretions, and mucosal surfaces. Both viruses may also shed from mucosa or skin that does not appear to be infected or having symptoms. (CDC)
To prevent contraction of genital herpes, a person must abstain from vaginal, anal, or oral sex with anyone who has HSV-2. To do this you can abstain from sex altogether, or only have sex in a mutually monogamous relationship where neither partner has genital herpes.
The use of condoms may reduce the risk of contracting genital herpes, however the lesions can be present in areas not protected by the condom, and there do not need to be lesions present for the virus to shed. Other ways to prevent or reduce the spread of the virus may be to take medication every day to prevent an outbreak, or not engage in oral, anal, or vaginal sex during an outbreak.
Things You Can Do at Home
There are some things you can do at home to treat herpes naturally. There are foods and supplements that may help reduce the symptoms of an outbreak or help prevent them all-together.
Top Foods for Herpes
There are several foods that may help boost the immune system which can in turn help with a herpes outbreak. These are:
- Brightly colored vegetables, especially orange and red, which contain higher levels of vitamin C, antioxidants, and carotenoids.
- Wild-caught fish which is high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Foods high in L-lysine such as vegetables, turkey, fish, chicken, and legumes. L-lysine is known to prevent the replication of viruses. There are also L-lysine supplements available.
- Adequate amounts of protein, such as those mentioned above.
- Many of these foods mentioned are also rich in zinc which helps the body fight infection. Other zinc rich foods are nuts and seeds, organ meats like liver, and spinach.
- Coconut oil which is known to have antiviral and other antimicrobial properties.
Foods to Avoid
Some foods can make herpes worse so avoid these foods:
- Added sugars
- Processed foods
- Acidic foods such as tomatoes and citrus fruits
Top Supplements for Herpes
There are some supplements that can help prevent a herpes outbreak or reduce the symptoms. These are:
- L-lysine as mentioned above which prevents the replication of a virus.
- Antiviral herbs such as echinacea, garlic, wild oregano, licorice root, and elderberry.
- Vitamin C and zinc which help boost the immune system.
- B-complex vitamins including sublingual vitamin B12. B vitamins help boost the immune system.
- Lemon balm extract may be used topically to promote healing.
Powerful Natural Treatment for Herpes
At LifeWorks Wellness Center we have a specific treatment protocol for powerfully treating herpes. One of the best ways to do this is to get the immune system functioning optimally which prevents the virus from becoming active and therefore reduces the number of outbreaks. We begin with a functional evaluation to assess the overall health of each patient and identifying barriers to a healthy immune system such as food allergies, heavy metal toxicity, lyme disease, and other factors. Then we create a treatment plan.
Ozone Therapy for Herpes
One of the most effective treatments for herpes virus and all viruses is ozone therapy. Ozone therapy works in several ways:
- It boosts the immune system when necessary, or calms it down when it is overactive.
- It improves blood circulation.
- It detoxifies the blood, killing viruses, bacterial infections, and fungi.
- It improves uptake of oxygen into the blood and into the cells.
- It resets the mitochondria so they are able to function better and produce more energy for the body.
Address Herpes at LifeWorks
LifeWorks cannot promise a cure of herpes, nobody can, but in our experience, using ozone therapy along with our other immune boosting approaches we routinely see outbreaks becoming much less frequent if at all and also patients becoming much less symptomatic