Stomach pain is very common and almost everyone will experience some form of stomach pain in their lifetime. Stomach pain can vary from mild to severe and may be present for a number of different reasons. Stomach pain may be a symptom of a gastrointestinal disorder such as Crohn’s disease or colitis and may be frequent, while other stomach pain could be caused by things such as food sensitivities, parasites or medication.
It is important to consult with a doctor if stomach pain keeps recurring as most causes of stomach pain are easy to diagnose and treat. A doctor should be called if severe stomach pain occurs as it may be a symptom of a serious condition such as appendicitis. Stomach pain can occur anywhere between the lower chest and the groin and the pain may vary between being either sharp, dull, cramps, pressure or bloating.
Stomach Pain Symptoms
As mentioned above, stomach pain symptoms can vary considerably in the type of pain experienced and its severity. Any kind of stomach pain symptoms should be monitored closely and if they are accompanied by any of the following, a doctor should be consulted immediately:
- Frequent vomiting
- Inability to have a bowel movement
- Painful and frequent urination
- Stomach is tender to the touch
Causes of Stomach Pain
There are many, varied causes of stomach pain ranging from gastrointestinal conditions to foods to medication to lifestyle habits. The most common causes of stomach pain are:
- Appendicitis – when the appendix becomes inflamed it can lead to sudden stomach pain, usually on the right side.
- Diverticulitis – is inflammation of the lining of the intestine and it can lead to stomach cramps.
- Gallstones – are stones which form in the gallbladder which can cause swelling, which results in pain on the right side of the stomach.
- GERD – or gastroesophageal reflux disease, can cause pain in the upper stomach.
- Gluten intolerance – some people are very a bad reaction when they consume gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye and this can cause stomach pain and bloating.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome – or IBS is a gastrointestinal disorder which can cause severe stomach pain.
- Lactose intolerance – is a strong sensitivity to lactose, a sugar found in milk and milk products and can cause stomach pain and gas.
- Pancreatitis – is inflammation of the pancreas and this can cause lower stomach pain.
Pain medication – known as NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen and aspirin can also cause swelling in the stomach lining, which leads to stomach pain.
- Parasites – are increasingly common and can be found in contaminated water and food and can cause bad stomach cramps.
- Ulcers – in the stomach are a common source of stomach pain.
When to See a Doctor for Stomach Pain
It is important to see a doctor for stomach pain, however mild, if it persists or occurs frequently. The need to see a doctor for stomach pain increases to urgent if blood is present in vomit or stools or if difficulty breathing accompanies the pain.
Stomach Pain Diagnosis
A stomach pain diagnosis may be determined by the patient reporting the location of the pain, the type of stomach pain and its intensity and frequency. A conventional doctor will often order X-rays, a CT scan or MRI.
At LifeWorks Wellness Center, the stomach pain diagnosis approach is different. Firstly, the symptoms that the patient is presenting with will be evaluated. A functional evaluation will be performed to assess the functioning of each organ that may be potentially contributing to the symptoms. This is important since the dysfunction of an organ can be as symptomatic as a disease of one. The patient will then be evaluated to see what kind of nutritional supplementation will be required to bring the function of the gastrointestinal tract back into alignment.
Natural Stomach Pain Treatment
At LifeWorks Wellness Center, once the diagnosis described above has been made, natural stomach pain treatment will then be offered. This will be tailored specifically to each individual patient and will involve testing to see which nutritional supplements they will respond best to, in order to rebalance the gastrointestinal tract. There may be multifactorial issues which may be setting off a “chain reaction” throughout the body and so it is important to handle all components of these multiple issues, to ensure the body begins to heal properly.
Clearwater & Tampa Stomach Pain Treatment Doctor
LifeWorks Wellness Center is long recognized as one of the foremost natural health clinics in the US. At our Tampa Bay, Florida alternative medicine office we have been offering natural stomach pain treatment for a long time and many of our patients have benefitted from it. Our patients fly in from all over the world because they simply can’t find clinics offering natural stomach pain treatment & solutions where they live.
We have helped many patients by putting them on a stomach pain treatment program to regain their health and we would love to help you, too. To become a patient, or for more information, feel free to call our New Patient Coordinator at (727) 466-6789 or simply submit an online web inquiry with your request.