Psoriasis is a common skin condition that causes skin redness and irritation. It occurs when the immune system sends out faulty signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells. Most people with psoriasis have thick, red skin with flaky, silver-white patches called scales. Psoriasis can appear suddenly or slowly. In many cases, psoriasis goes away and then flares up again repeatedly over time.
People with psoriasis have irritated patches of skin. The redness is most often seen on the elbows, knees, and trunk, but it can appear anywhere on the body. For example, there may be flaky patches on the scalp.
The skin patches or dots may be:
- Dry and covered with silver, flaky skin (scales)
- Pink-red in color (like the color of salmon)
- Raised and thick
Other symptoms may include:
- Genital lesions in males
- Joint pain or aching (psoriatic arthritis)
- Nail changes, including nail thickening, yellow-brown spots, dents (pits) on the nail surface, and separation of the nail from the base
- Severe dandruff on the scalp
We have helped many cases of psoriasis using natural methods. For more information call our Clearwater clinic at 727 466 6789.