- Dementia is a general term that describes a wide range of cognitive related conditions, of which Alzheimer’s is the most common
- Dementia is caused by damage to brain cells, although different forms of dementia have varying causes and risk factors
- Nearly 50 million people worldwide have dementia with a projection of 75 million by 2030 and 132 million by 2050 due to population aging.1
- As with any brain health issue, early intervention is key to reversing dementia before it worsens
- LifeWorks Wellness Center offers effective alternative treatment options for dementia
Let’s look at what dementia is and how we treat it naturally at LifeWorks.
Natural Treatment for Dementia
Dementia is not a specific disease but is a general term for the impaired ability to remember, think, or make decisions that have to do with everyday activities. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common type of dementia.
Dementia causes not only disability and dependency for those affected by the disorder, but can also have a profoundly detrimental effect on family and other caregivers who are at high risk of developing depression and anxiety disorders.
Disorders grouped under the general term “dementia” are caused by abnormal brain changes. These changes trigger a decline in thinking skills, also known as cognitive abilities, severe enough to impair daily life and independent function. They also affect behavior, feelings, and relationships.
What Causes Dementia?
Dementia is caused by damage to brain cells. This damage interferes with the ability of brain cells to communicate with each other. When brain cells cannot communicate normally, thinking, behavior and feelings can be affected.
A New Perspective on Treating Dementia
Instead of obsessing over the label of the disease and all the baggage it brings, we always seek to look deeper and think of the body as a symphony working together in a coordinated fashion. If one or more parts of the orchestra malfunctions, it can totally disrupt the entire performance.
Friday: 9:00am – 4pm
Clearwater, FL 33756
Become A Patient
Stop Focusing on Symptoms
Similarly, we do not look at Dementia as a fixed disease of the brain. It’s true that the brain is the organ that got affected. But what happened a few steps prior, that started this whole chain of events? And if we fix that, can we improve the condition? This seems like a logical way of approaching just about anything but unfortunately, it’s not how much of modern medicine is practiced anymore. Conventional medicine tends to focus on the endpoint or consequence and resulting symptoms, which from our perspective is too limiting a view and does not open the door to corrective treatment.
We Find & Treat the Underlying Causes
We look at Dementia as a deterioration of one or more physiological systems and functions in the body. For example, we often find that when patients come to see us with a chronic ailment, they are often suffering from multiple, long-term undetected issues. When we start correcting each of these, the ailment they came in complaining about often subsides on its own or is much more easily treated.
Remember.. the Body is a Self-Healing Organism
It only makes sense that if the body is overwhelmed or suppressed because it has been chronically coping with one or more underlying factors (such as an undetected infection, inflammation, heavy metal toxicity, pathogens, virus, an autoimmune condition, etc.) it will not be able to keep up with its normal maintenance and repair functions. Over time the body will start to develop multiple systemic dysfunctions and as these become chronic, it creates more disorder and malfunction in the body until it leads to a package of symptoms that can be neatly labeled as a frightful disease.
Think about what would happen if you didn’t realize your car had multiple issues such as an oil and refrigerant leak and some faulty belts and wires. One day you wake up and the car’s engine seizes up. Was the cause a bad motor or was it all these other little neglected factors that contributed to the engine seizing?
Alternative & Integrative Treatment for Dementia
Our approach to all chronic illnesses, including Dementia, is based on locating and treating these hidden underlying factors. As each factor is addressed, more and more of the body’s energy and reserves are freed up. The elimination of the suppressor, combined with the restoration of physical energy, immune and neurological function releases the full and often miraculous healing power of the human body. The body will rapidly try to put things right in order to achieve a state of homeostasis (equilibrium). And that’s why we see amazing results and steady improvements with Dementia using this approach.
Friday: 8:45am – 4pm
Clearwater, FL 33756
Become A Patient
Find & Treat the Underlying Factors
We use both conventional and alternative methods to locate these disease-causing factors so that we can develop a treatment plan to deal with each. Our testing may include one or more of the following:
- Testing for heavy metal toxicity
- Testing for inflammatory markers
- Testing for autoimmune conditions
- Testing for food allergies
- Testing for Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Testing for Lyme disease
- CNS neurocognitive test – assesses the neurocognitive status of the patient including motor skills and performance, memory, attention, and executive functioning.
- MRI with volumetrics – assesses neurodegeneration even at the early stages.
- MoCA cognitive assessment – reveals information on cognitive functioning.
- Vascular health assessment – shows symptoms of heart and vascular disease and the status of the patient’s blood circulation and blood pressure
- Nutritional & dietary deficiency testing
- Testing of neurotransmitters, hormones, minerals, essential fatty acids, and other nutritional markers.
Once all the necessary diagnostics are completed, our team of doctors will formulate a treatment program tailor-made for the patient.
An Alternative Treatment Intervention for Dementia
We believe that patients with Demtnai and other neurological diseases can make significant improvements using a holistic approach.
To accomplish this, we use a variety of alternative treatments and therapies for Dementia. Our alternative treatment options seek to address the underlying contributory factors that lead the body into cognitive decline.
Following is a list of the therapies we may use in the natural treatment of Dementia:
- Repairing Gut Issues – gut issues like Leaky Gut Syndrome are common triggers for autoimmunity and inflammation and often lead to cognitive issues.
- Addressing Inflammation – we test and treat systemic inflammation, infections, gut issues, other causes of inflammation.
- Food Allergy Treatment – food allergies can trigger inflammation and autoimmune conditions which can lead to cognitive impairment.
- Autoimmune Treatment – autoimmunity is where the body is attacking itself in some way, leading to inflammation and cognitive issues. It often goes undetected and unsuspected.
- Lyme Disease Resolution – if labs come back positive for Lyme we will treat it. Lyme disease can produce debilitating cognitive issues and brain fog
- Dietary and Nutritional Deficiencies – clearing up nutritional deficiencies, supporting the body with the right nutraceuticals to improve brain health including macro/micronutrients, minerals, hormones, neurotransmitters, essential fatty acids, etc.
- Controlling Blood Pressure – keeping blood pressure in a healthy range has been shown to reduce the symptoms of cognitive decline.
- Enhanced External Counterpulsation – increases blood flow and circulation
- Plasmapheresis – separates the plasma from the blood where it is treated and returned to the body.
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)– delivers pure oxygen to the patient in a pressurized chamber allowing the lungs to take in more oxygen than normal. This fills the blood with oxygen which can fight bacteria and promote healing.
- Vielight NeURO – delivers photons to a light-sensitive enzyme in the mitochondria which is known to trigger self-repair mechanisms in the cells, enhance cognition, and protect cell neurons.
- Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) Technology – the emission of electromagnetic waves to stimulate the body’s own healing properties
- Celergen – anti-aging cell therapy supplement that promotes cell renewal and stimulation.
- Peptide Therapy – utilizes specific chains of amino acids called peptides to signal cells to turn on or turn off certain functions. This works to help regulate and rejuvenate neuroendocrine-immune function.
- BrainHQ – brain training exercises designed to improve brain health.
- Exosome Therapy – a peptide therapy using cell-derived nanoparticles which play a vital role in cell-to-cell communication. They help regulate physiological processes and regenerate older cells.
- BrainTap – tapping into specific brainwave states, BrainTap helps to reboot and revitalize the brain, promotes relaxation, and reduces stress on the body and mind.
- Intermittent fasting – through intermittent fasting the body is able to take periodic breaks from digestion so the body can focus all its resources on healing.
- Health Coaching – helps patients keep track of their nutrition, exercise, supplements, and other suggested changes.
Treating Dementia Holistically
We firmly believe that health conditions such as dementia and other cognitive-related diseases are preventable and in many cases are reversible.
We believe that we must address the person as a whole since every function of the body and mind are interconnected. By addressing the health of the body we can improve our brain health and vice versa.
We approach illness from a patient-centered, science-backed vantage point to empower patients and their bodies to address the underlying causes of disease and improve their overall health, body, and mind. This, in turn, will improve their quality of life.
Contact Us About Dementia
If you or someone you know is suffering from any form of dementia, including Alzheimer’s, we would love to share our natural and alternative treatments with you. Early intervention can help people prevent dementia-related diseases and live a more fulfilling, healthy life.
Dr. David Minkoff, M.D. is a board-certified doctor, practicing medicine since 1974. Patients travel from all over the world to see our specialists and heal naturally.